|Channel: Reuters: World News
|RSS File: http://feeds.reuters.com/reuters/worldNews
|Description: Reuters.com is your source for breaking news, business, financial and investing news, including personal finance and stocks. Reuters is the leading global provider of news, financial information and technology solutions to the world's media, financial institutions, businesses and individuals.
- U.S., Taliban aim to firm up date for foreign force exit from Afghanistan
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 08:09:30 -0400
Upcoming peace talks between the United States and the Taliban will focus on working out a timeline for the withdrawal of U.S.-led troops from Afghanistan and on a Taliban guarantee militants won't plot attacks from Afghan soil, sources said on Monday.
- Turkish court tries businessman, others over 2013 protests
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 08:08:11 -0400
Prominent Turkish businessman Osman Kavala and 15 other civil society figures went on trial on Monday accused of trying to overthrow then-Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan's government by organizing nationwide protests six years ago.
- Iran says U.S. cyber attacks failed, hints talks are possible
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 08:07:26 -0400
Iran said on Monday U.S. cyber attacks on its military had failed, while also hinting that it could be willing to discuss new concessions with Washington if the United States were to lift sanctions and offer new incentives.
- Trump is willing to talk to Iran, top U.S. adviser says
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 08:07:26 -0400
U.S. President Donald Trump is ready to talk to Iran about a deal that would lift American sanctions but Tehran would need to curtail its nuclear and missile programs, as well as its support for proxies, a senior U.S. official said on Monday.
- Pompeo says he discussed Gulf maritime security with Saudi king
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 08:06:50 -0400
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a tweet on Monday he had discussed heightened tensions in the region with Saudi Arabia's King Salman during a meeting in Jeddah.
- A year later, Thailand's rescued 'cave boys' honor diver who died
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 08:05:06 -0400
A Thai soccer team trapped in a cave last year for 17 days returned there on Monday to perform Buddhist rituals honoring a former navy diver killed in the dramatic effort to rescue them that captivated the world.
- Dozens hurt, town evacuated after Kazakh munitions depot blasts
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 08:00:39 -0400
The Kazakh government ordered the evacuation of a town of 44,000 on Monday after a series of blasts at a nearby munitions depot injured 31 people, the Central Asian nation's authorities said.
- Turkey stands by S-400s, says F-35 partners disapprove of U.S.
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 07:58:55 -0400
Turkey has purchased Russian missile defenses and is discussing a delivery date irrespective of any U.S. sanctions, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Monday, adding the United States is isolated as it also squeezes Turkey on F-35 jets.
- Iraqi parliament votes in defense, interior, justice ministers: lawmakers
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 07:58:02 -0400
The education portfolio is the only one yet to be filled in Iraq's government after lawmakers on Monday voted in Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi's nominees as defense, interior and justice ministers.
- Egypt to go to Bahrain to 'evaluate' Kushner's plan: minister
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 07:56:37 -0400
Egypt will take part in a Bahrain conference this week on Palestinian economic development in order to evaluate the proposed $50 billion "Peace to Prosperity" plan, Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said on Monday.
- Cypriot army captain gets seven life sentences for serial killings
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 07:39:37 -0400
A Greek Cypriot army captain was sentenced to seven life imprisonment terms on Monday after pleading guilty to killing five women and two children in a three-year murder spree in which he preyed on his victims online.
- Putin extends ban on European food imports until end of 2020
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 07:35:39 -0400
President Vladimir Putin signed a decree on Monday extending a Russian ban on food imports from the European Union until the end of 2020, according to a government database.
- Businessman Yakobashvili doesn't plan to return to Russia after gallery searched: Ifax
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 07:32:36 -0400
Russian businessman David Yakobashvili told Interfax news agency on Monday he did not plan to return to Russia after security services searched his art gallery.
- Ethiopia coup mastermind on the run, others arrested: government
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 07:31:16 -0400
The man accused of trying to seize control of Ethiopia's northern Amhara region was on the run with some of his supporters on Monday but a number of other plotters have been arrested, a senior government official said.
- Bangladesh train derails over bridge; five people killed
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 07:20:37 -0400
A passenger train carrying at least 2,000 people derailed as it was crossing a bridge in Bangladesh on Monday killing five people and injuring more than 100, officials said.
- Pompeo visits Saudi Arabia as U.S. prods Iran for talks
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 07:19:40 -0400
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met with Saudi Arabia's king and crown prince on Monday amid heightened tensions with Tehran after President Donald Trump called off a military strike to retaliate for Iran's downing of a U.S. drone.
- UK PM candidate Hunt: Boris Johnson is a 'coward' for avoiding debates on Brexit
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 07:12:14 -0400
Jeremy Hunt, one of the two candidates vying to replace British Prime Minister Theresa May, said on Monday that rival Boris Johnson was a coward for avoiding public head-to-head debates on what to do about Brexit.
- Factbox: Deal, no deal or delay - What will UK PM May's successor do about Brexit?
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 07:11:55 -0400
What will Boris Johnson or Jeremy Hunt do about Brexit if chosen to replace British Prime Minister Theresa May?
- British Labour politician Prescott taken to hospital after a stroke
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 07:09:50 -0400
John Prescott, a former British deputy prime minister in Tony Blair's Labour government, has been taken to hospital after suffering a stroke, his family said on Monday.
- New deal or no deal: How will Britain's next PM deliver Brexit?
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 07:06:59 -0400
The toughest job for Britain's next prime minister will be to leave the European Union.