|Channel: Reuters: World News
|RSS File: http://feeds.reuters.com/reuters/worldNews
|Description: Reuters.com is your source for breaking news, business, financial and investing news, including personal finance and stocks. Reuters is the leading global provider of news, financial information and technology solutions to the world's media, financial institutions, businesses and individuals.
- Facing global pressure, Brazil's Bolsonaro may send army to curb Amazon fires
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 17:43:04 -0400
Amid growing global condemnation, Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro said on Friday he may mobilize the army to help combat a record number of fires sweeping through the Amazon rainforest.
- Encouraged by Johnson's visit, UK officials now hoping rest of EU agrees to work on Brexit solution
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 17:36:13 -0400
Britain is hoping the rest of the European Union falls in behind France and Germany and agrees to work on solving a deadlock over Brexit, with officials sensing a glimmer of hope after meetings this week, but conscious of the need for a wider consensus in Europe.
- Exclusive: As Amazon fires rage, Brazil tells diplomats to fix image
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 17:34:33 -0400
Stung by a global outcry over deforestation and wildfires in the Amazon rainforest, Brazil has launched a diplomatic offensive to persuade the international community of its environmental credentials.
- Brazil's Bolsonaro will send army to fight Amazon fires: governor
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 17:33:07 -0400
The Brazilian army will be deployed to fight fires in the Amazon rainforest, the governor of the Amazon state of Roraima said on Friday.
- Climate activists demonstrate outside Brazil embassies in Paris and London
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 17:20:22 -0400
Several hundred environmental activists demonstrated on Friday outside the Brazilian embassy in Paris as a clash between the two countries' leaders over the issue of climate change intensified, while similar protests took place in London.
- Norway's Liberals accept PM's ultimatum, preventing government's collapse
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 17:14:18 -0400
Norway's Liberal Party, a junior member of Norway's four-party government, will accept the prime minister's ultimatum on transport policy, preventing the cabinet's fall, Liberal leader Trine Skei Grande said on Friday.
- Mexican families scour arid plains for graves of disappeared
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 17:04:09 -0400
Fifteen years after her daughter's disappearance, 55-year-old Silvia Ortiz spends day after day raking through arid scrubland in northern Mexico hoping to find her remains.
- Yemen's separatists declare ceasefire in clash with government forces in Shabwa
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 17:01:53 -0400
Yemen's southern separatists declared a ceasefire in their clashes with government forces in the oil-producing province of Shabwa after two days of fighting.
- Tunisian police arrest presidential candidate Karoui on tax evasion charges
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 16:47:46 -0400
Tunisian police arrested presidential candidate Nabil Karoui on Friday after a court ordered his detention, the Interior Ministry said, in a case involving charges of money laundering but which Karoui's party said was a politically motivated attempt to exclude him from the election race.
- Lithuanian human chain links anti-Soviet and Hong Kong protesters
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 16:17:58 -0400
As protesters formed human chains across Hong Kong on Friday, Ramunas Terleckas was out on the streets of Lithuania's capital Vilnius getting ready to commemorate the event which inspired them.
- Kashmir protesters defy restrictions, clash with security forces
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 15:54:15 -0400
Security forces used tear gas against stone-throwing local residents in Indian Kashmir's main city of Srinagar on Friday, after a third straight week of protests in the restive Soura district despite the imposition of tight restrictions.
- Brazil's indigenous people swear to fight for Amazon 'to last drop of blood'
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 15:45:14 -0400
Members of Brazil's Mura indigenous tribe painted their bodies with orange-red paint and took up long bows and clubs as they headed into the jungle this week, prepared for battle. Their enemy? The deforestation and destruction of their home, the Amazon rainforest.
- France's Macron says real 'ecocide' going on in Amazon
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 15:44:25 -0400
The Amazon needs better management to end the 'ecocide' that is going on in the rainforest, French President Emmanuel Macron said on Friday ahead of a G7 summit at the weekend.
- Paris prosecutor opens inquiry into whether Epstein committed crimes in France
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 15:35:50 -0400
The chief prosecutor in Paris has opened a preliminary inquiry to determine whether late U.S. financier Jeffrey Epstein committed any sex crimes on French territory or against any underage French victims, prosecutor Remy Heitz's office said on Friday.
- Zimbabwe police arrest 10 union officials as clampdown deepens
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 15:34:58 -0400
Zimbabwe's government offered to raise public sector wages by 76% on Friday, an umbrella group for public sector unions said, in a bid to tackle widespread anger over the state of the economy.
- EU countries agree to share out Ocean Viking migrants
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 14:29:06 -0400
Six European Union countries have agreed to take in the 356 migrants stranded at sea for two weeks aboard the Ocean Viking rescue vessel, ending the latest standoff in the bloc over migration across the Mediterranean.
- France's Macron to push for charter on biodiversity at G7 summit
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 14:15:25 -0400
French President Emmanuel Macron said on Friday that he would put pressure on the United States to sign a charter on protecting biodiversity at the G7 summit in Biarritz, France this weekend.
- France deploys Michelin-starred chefs to win over G7 leaders
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 13:25:53 -0400
World leaders converging on the seaside Basque resort of Biarritz for a summit this weekend are sharply divided on a range of issues but host country France hopes the famed local cuisine can help smooth over the disagreements.
- Syrian army takes towns in northwest that rebels held for years
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 13:04:24 -0400
Syrian troops on Friday reclaimed a cluster of towns they had lost early in the eight-year-old war, pressing their offensive in the northwest, the country's last big rebel stronghold.
- Erdogan tells Putin that Syrian offensive is causing humanitarian crisis
Fri, 23 Aug 2019 13:04:24 -0400
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan told Russia's Vladimir Putin on Friday that Syrian army attacks in northwest Syria are causing a humanitarian crisis and threaten Turkey's national security, the Turkish presidency said.